Horn and W&F Werkzeugtechnik have come together to offer customers a complete solution covering everything from the spindle to the tool cutting edge. The focus is on equipping Swiss-type lathes with a quick-change system. “By entering into this cooperation, we are filling the gap that exists in our offering between the cutting edge and the machine. It will allow us to respond rapidly to customer enquiries and optimise their machining processes”, says Managing Director Lothar Horn, Paul Horn GmbH. Under the deal, HORN will be responsible for selling W&F tool solutions from Großbettlingen all across the world via its subsidiaries and sales partners in more than 70 countries.
The cooperation also brings many advantages in the OEM area by making it possible to offer customers “everything from a single source”. Thanks to the experience of both partners, new solutions and optimisation approaches can be developed in next to no time. To begin with, the cooperation will focus on quick tool change systems for Swiss-type lathes and internally cooled whirling units. A special Horn catalogue for Swiss-type turning is due to be launched in the autumn of 2018.
The first jointly developed technology to have come out of the cooperation is JET-Whirling. The internally cooled whirling tool is a real USP of the whirling method. Having the coolant supplied directly to the cutting edge during whirling results in higher surface quality, improves the flushing action for removing chips and extends the life of the tool inserts. The tool system – comprising the W&F whirling unit and Horn whirling head – was officially unveiled at AMB 2018 in Stuttgart.
Please contact us for more information on solutions from Horn + W&F!
A completely automatic “System Solution” for the transport or treatment of chips or coolant. These are individual systems and components that are linked to form one complete system – a Central System.
A suitable system depends on the project requirements. This may be, for example, classical, rigid chip conveying systems (belt conveyors) or modern, flexible, cross-linked bulk goods transportation systems (pumping or suction technology). halls and machine layout, machining processes, materials, chip volume and length of conveying path, but also the degree of automation, flexibility, environmental stipulations, disposal costs and budgets are a selection of criteria which our planning experts take into consideration in the design of a suitable system.
KNOLL can offer you all required services, from planning to production to start-up, all from a single source. KNOLL customer service ensures safe and economical operation. Additionally if the system is to be expanded or reconfigured, KNOLL is the right partner for you.
- Pumps – For the mechanical-engineering and automotive industries
- Swarf Trolleys – For stable emptying
- Coolant + Lubricant Tempering equipment – For preheating and heating or cooling of cooling lubricants and other media
- Foreign Oil Separators – For maintaining cooling lubricants
- Coolant + Lubricant metering and mixing devices – For metering and mixing stable and homogeneous cooling lubricants or solutions
- Magnetic Separators – For cleaning cooling lubricants to remove ferromagnetic contaminants
- Chip Centrifuges – For automatically de-oiling short metal chips
- Chip Compactors – For briquetting (compacting) metal chips as an economical and ecological alternative to chip processing
- Lifting + Tipping Devices – Equipment for emptying the contents of chip trolleys or material hoppers into containers, chip mills or centrifuges
Please contact us for more information on Central Systems from KNOLL.
New technology for shorter machining times
High productivity through turning and whirling operations performed simultaneously
• Long tool life and excellent surface quality as a result of pre-turning the thread diameter
• Machine and Process Technology partners Index / Traub
Please contact us for more information on this new product.
The MicroPur® is a backflush filter for separating superfine impurities from oils. The ideal area of application is tool grinding of hard metal and HSS. In addition to standardised plants for single or several machines, KNOLL offers individual central plants for entire fields of production. Because of its ability to recover valuable raw materials without filter aids, its low power consumption and its low maintenance costs, the filter is particularly economical.
Features of the MicroPur® Filter
- High filter fineness (1-3 µm)
- Fast and effective regeneration cycle, low backflush volume
- Energy-efficient backflush without air
- Easy to maintain thanks to good accessibility and fast replacement of filter cartridges
- Inexpensive, back-flushable filter cartridges
- Energy-efficient, demand-controlled pump control
- Flexible modular system requiring minimal space
The filter pump delivers the cooling lubricants tangentially into the filter bowls. Centrifugal force causes larger solids to accumulate already on the housing wall. Then the fluid flows through the filter cartridges from the outside inwards and reaches the filtered coolant tank in the form of filtrate. A filter cake (concentrate) forms on the surface of the filter cartridge; this filter cake supports microfiltration like an additional deep-bed filter.
The growing filter cake causes a reduction in the volumetric flow or an increase in the pressure differential at the filter cartridge. The regeneration phase starts in response to pressure or time control: The feed valve closes and the drain valve opens. The flush pump conveys for a short time the filtered fluid from the inside outwards through the filter cartridge. This dissolves the filter cake and flushes the particles into the drain tank. The fluid is further concentrated by a downstream facility for sludge preparation.
Product Information & Case Studies:
Superfine Filter MicroPur® Brochure
Case Study – HiTeCH AG
Case Study – Emuge
KNOLL compact filters KF are Belt Filters used for cleaning of coolant and lubricants in machining processes
- Used as stand-alone cleaning unit or combined with chip conveyors (e.g. in machining centres)
- Use in Local (for one machine tool) or Central (for several machine tools) is also possible
Function of the Filtration Process
1. Contaminated liquid flows from the side through the inlet box into the filter trough
2. The filter fleece holds back the contaminant particles during streaming
3. The contaminant particles form a filter cake, which separates even tiny dirt particles
4. The filtered fluid collects in the clean tank
Filter Belt Regeneration
1. The growing filter cakes increase the flow resistance
2. The fluid level in the filter trough increases
3. The belt drive switches on at a defined level alternatively: time-controlled)
4. The carrier belt transports a piece of clean filter fleece to the filter surface
5. The fluid level decreases again
6. A sludge container or a winding unit (option) takes up the dirty filter fleece
Data Sheets & Product Information:
Compact Filter KF Brochure
Compact Filter KF 200 Data Sheet
Compact Filter KF 400 Data Sheet